Saturday, July 9, 2011

Only the good die young, I'm not good, so I'm not dying!

I've probably said that phrase like a million times in the past 2 days.

For a few months now I have been having heart palpitations. I always just blamed it on stress and ignored it. I never had pain with the palpitations so Thursday when I had pain I got scared. Not only pain, but a racing heart. So fast I couldn't count, but by the time I went to my room to look at a clock it had stopped. I continued through my day and I could feel it keep racing and pain. I called my Dr. around 6:30 and she told me she was concerned about a PE (no not the gym class) Pulmonary embolism or also known as a blood clot in my lungs, and or heart. I just ignored her and went to work. Yes I went to work. Hello I work in an ER. Best place to be if something happens! I kept having pain and couldn't convince myself that I needed to go in. In fact when I did check in around 11:30 pm I felt pretty stupid about it. I was able to see a Dr. that I know and he is so sweet to me. They did the usual of ekg (to see if my heart is okay) iv (for blood work and easy access for meds), blood work(check all kinds of levels to see if maybe it was my electrolytes), maintenance fluids(just a good measure), and hooked me up to the monitor(to keep me on watch.)

The Dr. told me he heard a murmur and that could cause palpitations and pain, and that if the blood work came back negative for a clot then no ct scan would be necessary. So later after the blood work came back and said it's negative, but we will do a chest x ray to see the size of your heart. Away to x ray I went. Which, may I just say, is always awkward when you are barely clothed and you know the people working with you! The Dr. came in said everything was good. Was going to have me follow up with the cardiologist out patient and I was about to be home free just in time to eat. As the Dr. is writing up discharge paper work it happens again. The pain and elevated rate. It didn't get to high thankfully, but the pain was a lot and I my heart rate had doubled. I didn't want to press the call button, in fact I didn't for a bit, but finally I did. The nurse and Dr responded pretty quick and assessed the situation. They did another ekg and gave me some meds to help me calm down because I was pretty scared too. The meds helped to calm me down, but I still had the pain on and off and because of all this i had the ct scan done just for good measures. Everything came back fabulous of course. However... the Dr had me stay for a while because he wanted to make sure it didn't happen again and if it did he wanted to catch it better on the monitor. He called the cardiologist and talked about a treatment plan. Lucky for me they decided NOT to keep me to have some more tests done, but I do have to follow up next week. My biggest fear in all this was that I would miss my family reunion that I had planned. I wasn't going to let that happen! They finally let me go at about 6:45. Oh did I mention that I didn't call my parents until about 5 am. I'm not sure if they were happy or upset about that. My coworkers and Jamie all came in to check on me ever so often. They were my family that night.

My parents came to my house around 10:30 and picked me and my car up and took me back home so I could be safe and take it easy. So here I am. At my parents, Roxy at my feet, a blanket around me, and I couldn't be happier. Yes, I am okay. I do keep having random pains, but it must be nothing since they didn't find anything. I will just wait to see what the Cardiologist says next week. Plenty of people live with murmurs and they are fine, oh and did I mention that sometimes birth control could be the cause of palpitations. HA! Sweet one disease is trying to kill me off with it's way of keeping my endo under control.

Like I said... Only the good die young, I'm not good, so I'm not dying! I love you all and it's great to be home!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Super scary! Glad they didn't seem to find anything serious, that's frustrating in and of itself though cause you don't know exactly what's causing it. ): So glad you get to be home with your Roxy and Family though (: Did you ever hear back from your landlord about if they'd let you keep her in the valley with you?

    ReplyDelete