Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Bit of Good News

Friday I went my regular doctor. He got all my records from my GYN and so we were able to go over my biopsies. I'm so lucky to be in the care of some amazing doctors who really take the time to talk to me.

Lab results showed... High grade squamous intraepithelial lesion, cervical intraepithelial neoplasia level 2.  Now let me explain what all this nonsense means. When a women gets a pap there are cells that they look at. Dysplasia is the term used when the cells are abnormal. So the levels are this...

*Normal pap
*ASCUS- Atypical cells of undermined significance- the most common abnormality. Usually caused by an infection but return to normal.
*LGSIL- Low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion- body takes care of abnormal cells usually within less than 2 years. These are early changes in the cell's shape and size.
*HGSIL-High grade squamous intraepithelial lesion- very different from the normal cells. Precancerous, more likely to lead to cervical cancer.
Under HGSIL comes 3 sub-levels. These levels are called CIN. CIN- Cervical intraepithelial neoplasia dysplasia seen on biopsies.
-CIN 1- mild dysplasia- The body can still take care of this stage, but has to be monitored closely.
-CIN 2- Moderate to marked dysplasia-
-CIN 3- severe dysplasia to carcinoma-
Both CIN 2 and CIN 3 are considered closely the same. The bad cells must be taken out.
*Cancer

I hope this makes some sense. It makes sense to me now.

I got the pass to go to nursing school!!!! That is probably the most scary and exciting thing that I'm doing for myself right now. I can't believe that I'm going to do this. I sure hope I'm smart enough to do this. The doctor told me that he knows that since I'm making it through all this I am capable of making it through nursing school.

It feels so right that I'm doing this. It feels like the right time in my life. I just have one more thing to pass and then turn in my paper work! I'm so excited!

Just to clarify... I'm actually doing the LPN program then LPN to RN so I don't have to wait anymore.


1 comment:

  1. I had CIN 3 and I am totally okay now. You are a super tough young woman and you can definitely make it through this after everything you have been through!

    That being said, congrats on nursing school!!

    ReplyDelete